Saturday 19 November 2011

A real 'evergreen' - a poem by the Swedish writer Dan Andersson



I’m waiting…

I’m waiting by my log-fire while the hours gently wander,
while the stars all are roaming and nights come and go.
I’m waiting for a woman who comes from far yonder –
the dearest one, the dearest one with blue eyes aglow.

I thought of a roaming and snow-covered flower
and dreamt of a teasing laugh trembling and slight,
Imagined my dearest came here to my bower
through the forest, over moorland one snow-laden night.

Glad-hearted I’d bear in my arms this my dream-love
through brushwood to there where my small hut lies near,
and cry out rejoicing to my at last seen-love:
Oh, welcome, you awaited these lonely long years!

I’m waiting at my coal-stack while the hours stray and wander,
while the forests are singing and clouds come and go.
I’m waiting for a woman who roams from far yonder –
the dearest one, the dearest one with blue eyes aglow.

To hear the original poem sung, go to here

No comments: