Saturday 22 February 2014

Another poem by Brorson - one of the 'big four' Danish hymn-writers

i walk in danger where i tread

I walk in danger where I tread,
my soul would e’er remind me
that Satan stands behind, ahead
with fetters that would bind me;
his hidden hell-fire’s ray
can oft lead me astray
if from my post I once have fled.
I walk in danger where I tread.

I walk in hardship where I tread –
foul sin, I must forswear it;
should God’s rod rain upon my head,
with patience I must bear it;
I often see no way
along which to assay
when setbacks’ mists around me spread.
I walk in hardship where I tread.

I walk but deathwards where I tread,
all certainty’s denied me,
each day or hour is one more thread
with which he now has tied me,
a tiny breath of air
can end the whole affair
and to eternity I’m sped.
I walk but deathwards where I tread.

I walk midst angels where I tread,
whose loving care’s eternal,
and Satan’s power provokes no dread
in such a host supernal.
Begone, world’s cares malign!
An angel stronghold’s mine
though hairs be harmed upon my head.
I walk midst angels where I tread.

I walk with Jesus where I tread,
close by his side he keeps me,
he shelters through the blood he’s shed
and helps me fight if needs be.
And where he once has trod
I too will seek to plod
though some would see me fail instead.
I walk with Jesus where I tread.

I walk to heaven where I tread,
so let my heart be cheerful,
its sole goal where all pain is shed
and sin leaves no one tearful.
Begone, world’s pomp and state!
I gaze on heaven’s gate,
all love of worldly goods now dead.
I walk to heaven where I tread.

(1734)

1 comment:

David C Brown said...

Fine; fine to walk with Jesus where we tread.